If you are interested in surfing, you’re going to need a surfboard. If you need a surfboard, you’re going to need to know the difference between all of the types of boards that are out there right now, so you don’t select the wrong type of board because you think it looks cool or some sales person says it will work for you!
Below are the 5 board types that are used by beginner to expert surfers.
- Longboard – This is the longest and most common board seen on the water today. Just about every beginner (and some more experienced surfers) will use this 8-12 foot surfboard.
- Funboard – The funboard is basically a slightly shorter longboard, which makes it easiest to do more agile moves.
- Shortboard – These are the boards that you will see in most surfing competitions. Those have the sharpest noses of all of the boards to go along with two fins that make shortboards the ideal performance board. (These boards are not for beginners, they are much harder to maneuver when you are learning)
- Fish – While the fish is not necessarily a high performance board, its wide and short frame make it fantastic for smaller waves. It is easier to maneuver than a shortboard which is longer and tends to struggle in small surf at times.
- Gun – The gun was made to handle the largest of waves and go at the highest rates of speed. It can be up to 10 feet long and is thinner than other boards to handle those huge waves.